Registration and Assessment

Medical Imaging Professionals


Radiographers, radiation therapists and nuclear medicine technologists practising in Australia have been required to hold registration with the Medical Radiation Practice Board of Australia (MRPBA) / Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency (AHPRA) and a state radiation use licence.  The process will vary according to qualifications, experience and your current professional registration status.

Sonographers practicing in all scopes who qualified outside Australia or New Zealand, are required to apply to the Australian Society of Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy (ASMIRT) for assessment.  Without this ASMIRT assessment a sonographer will not be recognised by the Australian Sonography Accreditation Registry (ASAR).  All sonographers must hold ASAR accreditation and be included on the registry in order to be eligible to work in Australia.

New Zealand

As a medical imaging professional, to be eligible for employment in New Zealand you must obtain registration with the New Zealand Medical Radiation Technologist Board (NZMRTB).

You may be eligible for registration under the TTMR policy if you already hold Australian registration. Please contact us if you are unsure which pathway to follow.

If you are a cardiac sonographer, echocardiographer or cardiac physiologist, please contact us for information regarding the New Zealand registration process.

We suggest making contact with GHS before initiating any registration applications. We can advise on the most appropriate registration pathway for your circumstances and the likelihood of success before you outlay any application fees.