Australia implemented a national registration, to replace the state registration process, on 1 July 2010.

Overseas qualified physiotherapists are required to have their qualifications assessed by the Australian Physiotherapy Council (APC) and then apply for registration with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). If you wish to come to Australia temporarily, for either 12 months on a working holiday visa or for several years on a sponsorship visa, you are eligible to apply for Limited Registration in the Public Interest, which needs to be linked to an employment offer. If you are hoping to relocate to Australia on a permanent basis, or if you believe your qualification is substantially equivalent to an Australian four year degree program, you could be eligible to apply for General Registration.

Once you have been assessed by the APC, you may be required to undertake written and clinical assessments within a nominated time frame. If your course is found to be substantially equivalent to an Australian programme, you may be exempted from the written and clinical assessments.

Please contact us to discuss most appropriate registration path for you.

New Zealand
New Zealand registration is assessed on a case by case basis and is likely to take several months. You should visit the Physiotherapy Board of New Zealand’s website for more information regarding the clinical competencies you are required to demonstrate.

If you are currently registered in Australia and wish to work in New Zealand you can apply for registration via the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition (TTMR) agreement. If you are currently registered in New Zealand and wish to work in Australia you can apply for registration via the TTMR agreement.

Please contact us for more information.

  • August 4, 2017by GHSadmin