Since 1 July 2012, occupational therapists are included in the national accreditation and registration scheme, part of Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).

If you qualified outside Australia or New Zealand, you will need to contact the Occupational Therapy Council (Australia and New Zealand) and will usually be required to complete the application for assessment for a desk top audit.

After you commence a position in Australia, you may be required to undertake a practice audit, administered by the OTC.

Please contact us for more information.

New Zealand
If you’re an occupational therapist intending to work in New Zealand you must be registered with the OTBNZ before you can practise. Registration entitles you to practise as an occupational therapist anywhere in New Zealand subject to holding an Annual Practising Certificate (APC).

Occupational therapists who currently hold Australian registration in Australia can apply for registration via the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition (TTMR) agreement.

In the case of a New Zealand registered occupational therapist seeking work in Australia, you would not have to have your qualifications re-assessed in Australia and may be able to apply directly for national registration.

Please contact us to discuss further.

  • August 4, 2017by GHSadmin